LEGAL, TRAVEL, HOBBY, AFS, EXPERIENCES, FAMILY, EXTRA

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

My Uniquely-Extended Family

I was born and raised in a uniquely-extended family.  My father was a widower and my mother was a widow when they met each other.  My father has 9 children while my mother has 5.  As a matter of fact, they were neighbors in Pangyan, Glan, Sarangani Province (former a part of South Cotabato).  My father was a kumpadre of my mother's former husband.

Unfortunately, they lost each other spouse.  My father lost his wife when she labored their 9th child.  On the other hand, my mother's husband was presumed death after a storm wrecked the latter's fishing boat.

When my parents met, I and my brother are the latest addition in the family.

When I was still young, I was confused on what to call my elder brothers and sisters.  Sometimes, I called them MANONG/MANANG but I called them also as UNCLE/AUNTIE because I was not that very sure of our relationship. Most of the time, I would treat my nephews and nieces who are older than me as my brothers and sisters instead.  But anyway, what matters is we have lived in harmony.

Our family is literally a big family.  Though it is not uncommon in the Philippines to have this big family, but I guess to have this kind of family is rare.  It is unusual to have half brothers and sisters on both mother and father side.  Despite such status, that thing does not affect the way we treat each other.  In fact, my half siblings on either side, they treat each other as if real siblings already.

Out of the 16 siblings, I was the only one who was able to graduate in college.  Most of them were just high school graduates with two who were able to try college lives.  Despite their educational attainment,  I am proud that my brothers and sisters are not liabilities in our society.  In their own little ways, they have contributed to our country's development.

However, on October 1, 2004, my mother died.  Her early demise does not affect our relationship.  Our strings have strengthened even more.

With the death of my mother, my father is a widower again for the second time.  He is now hopping from one child to another.  He has no permanent address so to speak but he prefers to stay here in General Santos City.  At the age of 78, my father wears no glasses still.  In fact, he is the only one in his circle of friends who could text his cellphone without the aid of glasses or the assistance of another person.  My father has a lot of girlfriends already in his cellphone. It is seldom for my father's phone to be running out of load.  Almost every minute, his phone rings.

I hope that my father would enjoy his last years of his life here.  If to enjoy would spell another mother in our family, then we would gladly support it.  His happiness is our paramount concern after all.




No comments:

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *