LEGAL, TRAVEL, HOBBY, AFS, EXPERIENCES, FAMILY, EXTRA

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Public Defender in Me



When I passed the BAR in 2008, I was in a dillema on whether or not I would see myself working in the country's prominent Lawfirm, or work in the corporate world, or join the public defenders squad in a Public Attorney's Office.  The latter choice was not a better one, I thought at that time.

I was connected in the Government (before I passed the BAR) for almost 10 years.  I worked as an Instructor of the College of Forestry and Environmental Studies in Mindanao State University - Marawi Campus in Marawi City, Lanao del Sur.  During my stint as a public university teacher, I was exposed to all the negativities of a public employee.  Without mentioning the low salary grade, the environment was never conducive for growth, both personally and professionally.  I was able to witness the corruption in the system from the lowly staff member up to the highest officer of the land.

After the BAR and while waiting for the results, I took a leave of absence from my work.  I had a chance working in a private sector.  Yes, I worked as one of the Call Center Agents in Cebu City.  Though, the working hours were the exact opposites in MSU, but there was no time that I came late.  I was ahead if not on the dot in entering the premises of the company.  All of us were very conscious
of our time.  We were able to divide efficiently our allowed breaks in order not to waste even a single second.

Working in a private sector was hard but it instilled in me the value of having a work at least.  It inculcates in the minds of every employee that every second counts.

Going back to the time when I passed the BAR, I stayed for a month in Manila because I was trying to find my place in that concrete jungle.  I submitted my curriculum vitae to the law firms I selected.  Fortunately, one of the law firms I chose responded and given me the package I could not refuse.  It offered even a chance for my wife to work in one of the schools in Manila.  However, when I was about to sign the contract, a call from Public Attorney's Office came requiring me to submit myself for an interview.  I did know what magnetized me to undergo for PAO's interview but I made a u-turn of my career's path. 



Working in PAO, especially if you are a newbie, would be a challenge of a lifetime.  You are expected to work efficiently in a mountain of case loads with a very minimal period.  You are ought to know the cases you would be inheriting that dated back sometime when you were still in your first year college days. You should be the model in complying the new legal mechanisms of the courts in easing their dockets.  

Of course, the salary of a public defender would just be naught as compared to our counterparts in a lawfirm and in a corporate world.  But we have some fulfillment within us that we cannot explain in words.

Yes, we cater to indigent, less fortunate, oppressed and marginalized sectors of our society.  These are the people that even a fare of 8 pesos is already a fortune for them.  These are the people that even a spelling of toothbrush and shampoo never crosses their minds.  Yet, they are the most abused if not used by some influential politicos.



Who would defend these people if no lawyer applies as a public defender?  Who would secure their basic rights if not for the people in PAO?

These people are the very reasons why I still stick in my office.  The public service calling in myself is the only glue that attaches me in the public sector.

Yes, I still see myself working in PAO for years to come.  The genuine smiles and the simple thank yous of these people are big consolations for us, the public defenders of the land.

Thus, heading to the office of PAO is the best decision I made so far.


The photos are not owned by the blogger but only sourced from Google and Facebook.


No comments:

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *