LEGAL, TRAVEL, HOBBY, AFS, EXPERIENCES, FAMILY, EXTRA

Thursday, March 13, 2014

My Own Share of Superstitious Belief

Accordingly superstitious belief refers to a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/superstition).

Whether we like it or not, it is already a part of our existence.  Filipinos, in general, rely mostly to this kind of belief despite the absence of any scientific basis.  As a matter of fact, in every start of the year, we always believe that our fortune would be in our favor if we prepare something and we do something based on our superstitious beliefs.

I, for one, do practice these superstitious beliefs.  Although, I am not a believer, (I hope you would agree with me) but part of me would concede to this.

When I took the BAR exams last 2008, it was not only me who believed and relied to some superstitious beliefs.  In fact, I even commissioned my wife to practice some rituals in my behalf while I took the rigorous review in Manila.

My wife brought a photo of mine to a well-known local quack doctor of Cabadbaran City.  This vice-doctor took my photo and performed a ritual that resembled something like a pray-over.  After that, as I was told by my wife, the quack doctor told her to tell me that I should entertain no doubts upon entering the portal of DLSU (the venue of the 2008 Bar Exams).

My wife also went to a convent located in Carmen, Surigao del Sur where she wrote my name in a piece of paper and placed it inside the envelope.  She then dropped the envelope inside the "Petition Box" and then she performed prayers consonant to her petition.

Almost every Sunday Mass, my wife would request her friend priest in Carrascal, Surigao del Sur to offer the mass for my incoming Bar Exams.

While I was reviewing in Manila, I often went and touched the Black Nazarene and say my prayers.  My prayer was very simple.  That the Lord would fortify my FAITH.  FAITH in HIM as my creator and FAITH in me that I could do it.

Of all the beliefs we practiced, this was the most bizarre I guess.  On the examination day, I required my wife to lit a PINK CANDLE in the house from the start of the exam until it would end.  Just imagine how my wife scour every nook and corner of Carrascal, Surigao del Sur (they stayed in their place while I was in Manila) inorder to find pink candles.  This was the catch, never put off the flame of the candle.  Once lighted, the flame shall go on until the end of the exam on the day.

Considering that there are four Sundays in the Bar Exams, so my wife prepared many candles as possible inorder to be lighted for the whole duration of the four-Sunday exams.  Of course, without mentioning the effort she exerted in seeing to it that the flame did continue and uninterrupted.

Luckily I passed the 2008 Bar Exams.  I really do not if those beliefs we practiced contributed or really helped me hurdled the Bar.  I guess of all the beliefs I or we performed, it the keeping of the FAITH in me that was very important.  

Believing in yourself would spell confidence in you.  That no matter what would happen and no matter what you would go through, if you would have just an ounce of FAITH, everything would just seem so easy.

No comments:

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *